Make the time

Bayleigh Nemeth, a senior from Cozad, has worked as a success coach in the Learning Commons for two and a half years. Nemeth enjoys helping students organize their time and be successful.

Good time management is the key to students’ success

With all the emphasis put on scheduling and time management when students first go to college in the fall, it can become an important topic that slips out of mind in the spring semester.

“I think time management is so important, especially in college,” said Bayleigh Nemeth, a senior success coach at the Learning Commons. “Students are really busy whether it be activities, classes, if they’re involved in sports or working a job, whatever the case may be. To get everything done and feel satisfied with everything and keep everything organized I think is super, super important.”

Time management is a process of organizing and dividing time between classes, jobs, activities, studying and whatever else a student might have on their plate. Good time management can help you get more done efficiently, even when you’re stressed and time is limited.

“I like to encourage students by figuring out what they have on their plate and what tasks are most important to them,” Nemeth said. “Learning how they can manipulate their study tactics, their class habits and their work schedules to fit their needs is the best way to help students.”

The internet is full of resources to help with time management and teach audiences how to ‘work smarter not harder.’ Other useful tools to help UNK students with managing their time are the success coaches in the learning commons that students are already paying for through their academic success fee.

“Break it down. I’m a big believer in mapping out your entire day for about a couple weeks to figure out everything and you need to put time into studying and then reward yourself with fun,” said Nemeth. “It is important to have friends and to have that social aspect of college but there needs to be a balance between fun and the fact that you’re paying to go to school, and you’re here to get an education.”

The success coaches provide one-on-one, individualized assistance to students to help them with any problems they are having with their college lives. 

“Its now only appointment based, so you have to schedule an appointment

you have to schedule an appointment 24 hours in advance, but don’t let that deter you,” said Nemeth.  “If you need an appointment right away and would send us an email, we could be here in a couple hours if it works with our schedule.”

Nemeth became a success coach after Brette Ensz from the First Year Program office recommended the position to her. 

“I really wanted a job on campus and thought that this would be great, so I applied and ended up getting the job,” Nemeth said. “I’ve been here ever since and I absolutely love it.”

The success coaches can be found upstairs in the library in the Learning Commons. To get in contact with a success coach, students can email, call or visit the Learning Commons to schedule an appointment. There are no requirements when it comes to seeing a success coach, so students can visit as often as they want.

“Time management is different for everyone,” Nemeth said. “The tactics everyone uses are completely different, so it’s all about finding out what works for you and managing your time.”